Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's Hammer Time!

My-my-my-my music hits me so hard, makes me say...

No wait, not that Hammer. :)

Hammer Nutrition!

Since I started running longer distances, I have played with different types of fuels. After some research and experimentation, I have become a HUGE fan of Hammer Nutrition products. I always use Hammer gels (Apple Cinnamon and Montana Huckleberry are my favorites!) and Hammer HEED (High Energy Electrolyte Drink) to fuel on long runs and in races. For me I found it works super well to take a Hammer gel once before a race, and then every four miles in my marathons, while sipping on HEED in my hand-held bottle and supplementing with water from occasional aid stations. I haven't bonked yet following that formula (knock on wood!) Hammer products have not bothered my uber-sensitive stomach (and lots of other brands have).

With my success with Hammer products, I was super excited to find THESE new products when I was browsing online the other day.


Check out Hammer Nutrition's new Endurolytes Fizz! I ordered a tube of each flavor (mango, grapefruit and lemon lime), and these are GREAT. The tubes come with 13 tablets, and one tablet is enough for my big 24 ounce water bottle. I love the flavors (especially mango) and I love having a very low calorie something to drink during the day. It definitely makes it easier for me to drink more water when it tastes so good. I love that there are no refined sugars or artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners give me headaches and I definitely don't need that.

Since this drink is very very low calories (practically none) I will continue to use the HEED for my long runs and races for fuel along with my Hammer gels, but Endurolytes Fizz is definitely my new drink of choice for staying hydrated throughout the day, and before and after runs.

Unfortunately Hammer Nutrition doesn't do blog giveaways, but they DO have a cool referral program. If you go to Hammer Nutrition through this link (and are a new customer to their website) you will get 15% off your order total for going through my link (and it helps me earn credit towards free products, so it is a win-win).

There is no time limit to the link, so use it whenever. Someone asked me a little bit ago what types of gels I like, so here is your answer. I am a Hammer fan.

OK, hitting the road soon to go to Shriner's in Utah and get Noah some new wheels. More soon (including a real giveaway). :)

5 comments:

mom2booandbobo said...

So, is the Hammer Fizz a bubbly drink...or does it fizz and dissolve?

Terzah said...

Hmmm. It sounds like Nuun. I do think Nuun has artificial sweeteners in it, though, so I'll have to give the Hammer Fizz tabs a try. I'll try their other products too--especially if they are easy on touchy stomachs!

Mary said...

As much as I would love to have some of the running gear, equipment, nutritional supplements, etc., etc. that you have, we simply do not have the money for those things. I was quite surprised that a pair of running tights were $70... wow! I have been running for many, many years, but guess I am very much "out of the loop" when it comes to the latest running gear. I enjoy reading about it on your blog and think.... "perhaps some day...." Way to go Erin! Keep on runnin'!!

Caroline said...

Hello, This is my first comment. I love your blog! I'm also a mom/marathoner (started running almost two years ago after my youngest was born and love it). I can't tolerate the sugars in any of those electrolyte drinks, and I don't do well with the gels, either. I find the honey gels work okay for me, but I think I'm going to start making my own, all-natural gels and drinks and see if those work better. I have more questions for you: 1) Do you ever struggle with motivation/exhaustion in the early morning? You seem like such a go-getter, but is it ever hard to stick to your plan? I'm also an early morning exerciser, but when I'm up all night with the baby, I do have trouble getting up and sticking to my plans. Do you just need very little sleep? What is your secret? :)

2) On the 'mill, what do you do with the incline? Also, how are you liking your mill, now?

3) I know you have to cook for 12 children, so what kinds of things do you eat throughout the day to fuel your running and at the same time maintain your weight loss?

Wonderful blog! Keep on running and writing!

Caroline

Paul and DeeDee said...

I have a few questions! You seem to know a lot about running, gels, training, shoes, etc. What websites/magazines do you read to get all of your information? How would you encourage a beginner to learn more about running? I just run about 3 miles a day and would love to take my running to the next level but not sure where to even begin.