Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Entertainment, Sundays and Friends

 This morning's run was 9 miles on the treadmill. I ran the first 8 miles at a 9:05 pace, then ran 3/4 of a mile at 8:41 and the last 1/4 mile at 8:00. It was a good run, but in regards to my treadmill entertainment, I am getting dangerously close to the end of my last season of Alias. I will have to come up with something else to watch while stuck on the treadmill (although I am hoping hoping that by March the roads will be clear more often than not and we will be out of negative temps). Any recommendations on shows to watch? I only have a laptop to use while on the 'mill (so I am limited to DVDs). I didn't use the treadmill once between mid March and early December last year and I am looking forward to running outside all the time again SOON.

Tomorrow I am supposed to do four miles and strength train, but I am going to have to switch that work out with Friday (my day off) and take tomorrow off because I have to drive to Utah to take my youngest to Shriner's to get his wheel chair. Wish us luck!

Ok, two quick questions and answers. :)

On Sundays do you run before church or after church?

Josh and I believe in honoring the Sabbath. We don't shop on Sundays, we don't work on Sundays and we don't eat out on Sundays. Sunday is always a family day and unless someone is sick, we all go to church every Sunday.

When I first started training for longer races and had to have a long run day each week, I quickly realized that Sunday was the only day that it would work for me. It is the only day that Josh is always home, and the only day I can get away with going out on a 2-3 hour run. I do have older kids that are usually home when Josh is gone, but I just don't feel good about being out of the house that long, especially with Noah's special needs. Some people may consider running on Sunday as breaking the Sabbath, but I don't. I have talked to Josh about it and prayed about it and feel good about it. Running is my mental "rest". I get up early and am back by the time Josh and the kids are having breakfast. I shower, we go to church, and we spend the rest of the day resting together. We go to bed early. :)

As for the timing, right now our church meets at 1pm (we share the church building with other wards so our time changes each year) so it is easy for me to get a long run done before church. Last year we met at 11am and I was still able to get my runs done before church (I get everyone's church clothes and everything else ready the day before).  If we end up going to church at 9am next year I'll have to come up with a new plan. :)


 Do you and Jenny still run together?


For those of you who have read my blog(s) for awhile you know that Jenny is my neighbor/best bud/running partner. We started running together when we signed up to be on the same Ragnar Wasatch Back team last spring, and through all of those days of getting up early and all the hours and hours and hours of conversation, we built a really great friendship. After Ragnar we kept on running together every day and decided to train for a half marathon, and then after the half we kept on running together every day and decided to train for a full marathon.

Pretty early on in the marathon training Jenny knew she wasn't going to be able to travel to Vegas to run the marathon with me, and yet she still trained with me to just about the bitter end. Unfortunately on the last 20 mile run of the training she hurt her knee, and between her injury and our nasty dark, icy, cold winters she hasn't been running much the last few months. She still lives next door but I miss her like crazy. She is an awesome friend and a wonderful person to be around, and there is nothing like starting off every day with a dear friend, running and talking.

She has been logging some miles at the gym the last few weeks and has some new shoes coming, so hopefully she will be back to running with me soon. We are on a Ragnar team together again this year (call me Captain!) and as spring gets closer and closer I get more and more excited about heading out on morning runs with Jenny again.

So for this marathon training I am on my own, but I am hoping Jenny and I will be running together again soon.

She says I will have to "be nice" to her when we start running together again because I have been training so much and she hasn't... BUT... I vividly remember the days when I was fat and slow and she would blow me away, so we shall see. Maybe I'll be nice, maybe not (just kidding Jenny!!!)   :)

As much as I miss the company, especially on the long runs, I have to say that I think doing the marathon training on my own has brought a new level of mental toughness. This week was the first time I went on a really long run all on my own, and those 17 miles ended up to be great (COLD but great). I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Here is Jenny and I at the top of the mountain pass we like to start our long runs at. This was in October, one Sunday morning around 5:45 am. :)
Me in green, Jenny in pink :)

 How about you? Do you run on Sundays? Do you run with a friend? A group? By yourself?

And let me just say, if you have never run in a Ragnar Relay you are SO missing out. Seriously, it is the most fun you can have in running shoes (keepin' it PG here people). :)

8 comments:

Andrea said...

You're smiles always make me smile! :)

misszippy said...

I am jealous of your 1:00 service! We hit the 9:00 service. My long run day is Saturday, but I always do a recovery run on Sundays. This makes it a push to be on time to a 9:00 service!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I have found an evening service on Sundays!! But, I would prefer to run before service regardless!! :)

I love your reflective pic!

Terzah said...

I agree with you about running not being "work" in the Sunday sense--it's spiritual (despite the opinion of Eric Liddell in Chariots of Fire, a movie that might get you through a long run on the treadmill)...

Run with Jess said...

Sundays are my rest day... I do long runs first thing Sat morning.

Annet and Kirk said...

We are big on watching dvds in series, so have a few suggestions for you once Alias is finished.

This is one that you might think is out there, but try Battlestar Galactica - the new series. You'll have to watch the mini-series first and then its 3 or 4 seasons long. Yes, its sci-fi, but very political intrigue, relationships, struggles of dealing with few supplies (unlike star trek where new things magically appear, even in the middle of nowhere), etc. Give it a try through the first few episodes and I am pretty sure you will like it.

Scrubs was funny to watch in order (had always watched an episode here or there and didn't get all the jokes). Friends is neat to relive in order as well. Buffy was okay and Angel was much better, but vampires might not be your style. Oh and then there is Bones. I love Bones. Mostly for the eye candy. Hence why Angel made the list as well.

Hope that helps!
Annet

Jesse Faris said...

Ooooo...Alias is my favorite TV show EVER!
Have you watched LOST? It might be a good one for treadmill work...

We like the West Wing (a bazillion seasons!) and Gilmore Girls too.

Jen said...

I'm new to your blog, but I'm super inspired! I ran my first marathon after my third child - just months before I got pregnant with my fourth. Number 4 is six months old now, and I've built my base back up to 5 miles "easy" so I'm kicking my running back into gear. I love reading about your training regime. Are you following a program? Or are you crafting your runs based on your experience? I'm looking for some guidance to quicken and steady my pace. *I did the marathon in 4 hr, 20 min, average 10 minute mile, but realistically ran the first half at 9:30 or so, and the second half progressively slower. I'd love suggestions: jennifertepker@gmail.com. Thanks and keep up the runs! (oh ick - pardon the pun!! I'll leave it though cause it's kinda funny. kinda. LOL)