Thursday, January 20, 2011

September 10, 2010 - 50 still gone

This weekend is my one year anniversary of losing over 50lbs. :)  I remember saying to Josh last year, "I am so proud of us! Aren't you proud of us?" and he said, "I will be proud if we are still being healthy, still have the weight off and are still exercising in a year." Well, we did it! It is a year later and we are still eating healthily, we are still exercising, and we have both kept over 50lbs off for the whole year.
Here is my "finish line" photo from the half marathon last weekend.
Finish  829
My only regret is that I didn't get healthier sooner. I spent way too many years feeling bad about myself and bad about my weight and not doing a thing about it. And I spent way too long not taking any time for myself or doing much of anything for myself.  If I had known how much better I would feel  emotionally and physically... if I had known how much I would enjoy running and how much personal satifaction I would get from it... if I had known that the weight really could come and stay off... I would have done it a lot sooner.
It took me about eight and a half months to lose 50lbs.
I didn't diet. I didn't take any pills or supplements. I didn't buy any prepackaged "diet plan" foods.  I didn't have surgery (and I have been asked that!). I didn't (and don't) count calories. There are no foods that are off limits.
I made small changes that I could stick with. I became watchful of portion sizes and listening to my body when it was hungry or full. I stopped snacking off of the kids' plates. I starting watching what I was putting into my mouth. I started eating a lot more fruits, veggies, beans and whole grains. I stopped snacking while watching TV at night. I stopped eating when I was bored. I gave up soda (except for a rare treat).
And I started exercising six days a week, at first for just 30 minutes a day. I didn't start running until I had been exercising and eating better for four months. Figuring out that I loved running was important because it was an exercise that I really enjoyed, and therefor I have stuck with. There are days that I am getting up before 5am to get my run in, and I just wouldn't do it if it wasn't something I really enjoyed.
Running has really helped with eating better too. As I have gotten more serious about running, I have put even more thought into what I eat and how it affects my body. I look at food (for the most part) as fuel for my body. I still enjoy sweets and things that are less than healthy, but now I see them as "treats" to enjoy once in a while instead of the majority of what I eat.
I started off without a weight loss goal, and not really believing that I would lose weight. I just decided I wanted to be healthy and more active. I remember when I lost 7lbs and I couldn't believe it! Seven pounds seemed like so much and I was so excited. My Dad told me that weight loss wasn't tricky... it was calories in versus calories burned. If you take in more than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more than you take in, you lose weight.
I never really had a weight loss goal. My plan was just to keep eating well and exercising and I figured my weight would even out at a healthy weight for me. As I started getting close to that 50lbs lost bench mark, I REALLY wanted to hit it though!
Fifty pounds was just about what I had to lose. I lost another couple of pounds, and then stayed about the same weight for months. In the past few months I have lost just a couple of more pounds. For the first time (in WHO KNOWS how long) I am in the "normal" weight range on the BMI charts! I started out as obese, then was overweight, and now am normal! Woo hoo! As of right now I am down 57lbs from where I started at the end of December 2009. I started at a size 18 and am now in a 6/8. I started at 206lbs and am now 149. Yeah, I just put my weight out there on the internet. I am ok with that! I know 149 isn't small for a lot of people, but I am dang proud of it. :)
My goal now is just to maintain. I am going to continue eating well (and enjoying it!). I am going to continue running and hopefully getting faster and stronger (and way enjoying it!). And I am going to maintain this weight and continue to enjoy this "one year old" me.
If you are thinking about making a change in your eating habits or trying to lose weight (whether it be 5lbs or 100lbs) or starting to exercise regularly, I strongly encourage you to do it. I wish someone would have told me a long time ago how great it would feel. And if this super busy mom of 12 who works from home and has a husband that works all the time can do it, so can you. :)

No comments: